Companies need a new kind of leader to meet the enormous challenges of today’s fast moving business world. Whether you have the potential to step up and lead or are charged with finding those who can, The High-Potential Leader is your authoritative guide.
Known for his coaching work with many of the world’s leading CEOs, Ram Charan explains how those with leadership potential (hipos) can know who they are, create their individual paths, and accelerate their growth. He also helps top management and HR professionals spot hipos and support development of the skills, judgment and mental capacity they will need at the highest organizational levels.
This hands-on guide covers:
- Practical advice and checklists in every chapter for making daily progress toward running a large team, business unit, or company.
- A framework for deciding when and how to make job changes that speed development.
- Firsthand examples and lessons learned from many top leaders around the world in a variety of industries.
- New approaches for HR and leadership developers to attract, develop, and retain the hipos their company needs.
“If you are a high-potential leader, or want to become one, this is the book for you. Ram Charan lays out the precise qualities that differentiate the exceptional from the merely good. A superb and timely book, in a time when leaders are needed more than ever.”
— Laszlo Bock, Former Senior Vice President of People Operations at Google, Inc. and author of Work Rules!: Insights from Inside Google That Will Transform How You Live and Lead
“Wow! Ram Charan shows us again why he is one of the leading business coaches in the world. Through timely stories, this exceptional book is filled with specific tips and tools to maximize five skills to be a high potential leader and to sustain leadership through organization practices. This book allows us to savor the insights Ram has accumulated throughout his career and to appreciate the ingredients for personal and professional success.”
— Dave Ulrich, Rensis Likert Professor, Ross School of Business, University of Michigan Partner, The RBL Group
“For strengthening your leadership, here is the book for spurring and then steering your own way forward. Ram Charan has developed a bevy of invaluable personal checklists for expanding awareness, thinking ahead, and deciding decisively. Built on graphic accounts of those who have led, The High Potential Leader is for all who are ready to master the art of leading others.”
– Michael Useem, Professor of Management and Director of the Wharton Leadership Center at the University of Pennsylvania, and co-author of Fortune Makers: The Leaders Creating China’s Great Global Companies
“In this book, Ram distills decades of experience counseling CEOs to provide practical, hands-on advice on how high-potential leaders can help their businesses thrive in the digital age. Not only does Ram provide actionable insight into how executives can support these future leaders, but he also offers guidance on how high-potential individuals can accelerate their own growth.”
– Dominic Barton, Global Managing Partner, McKinsey & Company